If you plan to buy or sell real estate in Flushing, assembling a winning team is a top priority. You already know that an experienced real estate agent is essential, but have you considered enlisting the help of a real estate lawyer?
Most real estate transactions benefit from having a lawyer present. In New York, a licensed attorney must conduct closings, although they can provide invaluable guidance to buyers and sellers throughout a real estate transaction.
A Real Estate Attorney's Responsibilities
Real estate lawyers are experts in property transactions from start to finish. Here are a few things that a real estate lawyer can do for you:
- Create legal documents: Your real estate lawyer can draft deeds, lease agreements and financial paperwork relating to your sale or purchase.
- Negotiate: Experienced real estate attorneys have seen it all, and they are in a prime position to negotiate transaction terms and conditions on your behalf.
- Due diligence: Due diligence refers to investigating the property's details to identify any unrecognized issues. Your real estate attorney will spot problems that typical buyers and sellers usually overlook.
- Represent their clients in litigation: If your real estate transaction doesn't go as planned, your real estate lawyer will act in your best interest during legal proceedings.
Hiring a Real Estate Lawyer
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you select a real estate lawyer:
- Don't wait until the last minute! Hire your attorney before you enter the real estate game.
- Get local referrals from friends, family or your real estate agent.
- If the attorney you are considering offers a consultation, take advantage of it to see if they are the right fit for your transaction.
- If your real estate sale or purchase involves a co-op or condo, make sure that your attorney has plenty of experience with these types of transactions.
Flushing Realty Can Help
At Flushing Realty, we maintain an updated list of local, qualified lawyers who understand all forms of real estate, including co-ops and condos.
Contact us today at (718) 997-6000 or email us here for a referral!